I just took a genetic test offered through a lab I work with and it’s quite interesting! This test is called “Find Why” Weight Control Panel. It tests 5 genetic markers to gain insight into weight issues such as:
- Regulation of metabolism and satiety
- Regulation of fullness and meal frequency
- Sensitivity to carbohydrates and stress impact
- Fat absorption and insulin regulation of sugar
- Regulation of insulin and leptin systems
I am a carrier for 3 out of the 5 listed above. This means I am very sensitive to simple carbohydrates such as flour, sugars and alcohol; I do gain weight when I eat them. I also have a higher chance of insulin resistance and type 2 Diabetes. My body needs a higher protein diet, where exercise alone won’t lose the weight, and I should do weight training before I eat. I have a poor response to stress so I need to take care of my adrenals, and I also have an increased absorption of fatty acids and do best with polyunsaturated fats (my Norwegian heritage, I guess). There is more, but this gives you an idea.