Summer is finally here and I know most of us ladies don’t want to spend the time covering up our skin with makeup. Our skin is a reflection of what’s going on the inside, so if there is inflammation all the lotions and potions you buy won’t save you.
Especially, if these lotions are full of toxic ingredients! Never put anything on your body that you can not put into your mouth.
What you put into your body is the quickest way to give your skin that glow you want. Below are 10 foods to nourish your skin and 5 that will age it. It’s your choice.
10 BEST FOODS FOR YOUR SKIN and THE 5 WORST
- WATER AND COCONUT WATER: Hydration is the key. A dehydrated person ages prematurely and is exhausted! Coconut water contains electrolytes that help cells retain water.
Caffeine, soda, alcohol, and fruit juice are all dehydrating. They will pull water out of you. This can show up as creepy-dry skin. Aim for one half your body weight in ounces of water daily
- BONE BROTH: Both healing and nourishing. Bone Broth is packed with collagen, which turns into gelatin when you cook it. This contains the building blocks needed for younger-looking skin.
Collagen contains amino acids (protein) that act like a natural Botox, erasing wrinkles and reversing sagging skin. Gelatin strengthens your skin, fights inflammation, and heals the gut. Drink a mug in the morning with your breakfast and make yummy soup out of it.
- AVOCADOS: Rich in antioxidants and loaded with healthy fats. Mono-saturated fats are needed to reduce inflammation and plump up skin cells leaving them soft and smooth. Smoothies, salads, and guacamole are all great ways to eat more avocados.
- OLIVES / OLIVE OIL: Same healthy mono-saturated fat as avocados. So good for you and can be used as an external and internal moisturizer. Toss olive oil on all your veggies to help your body absorb the nutrients better.
- SAUERKRAUT & KIMCHEE: With the help of fermented foods you will glow from the inside out. They are full of beneficial bacteria to keep your gut healthy, let go of waste, and reduce inflammation. Just make sure the sauerkraut is raw.
- WILD SALMON, MACKEREL, SARDINES & ANCHOVIES: These foods contain large amounts of Omega 3 fatty acids. They will help reduce inflammation and increase the softness of the skin by normalizing skin lipids and preventing dehydration, resulting in fewer fine lines.
- VITAMIN A FOODS: Carrots, yams, and dark leafy veggies help to prevent premature wrinkles and bumpy skin. They also protect you from harmful UV rays.
Don’t forget egg yolks, liver and butter, which is a Retinoid form of Vitamin A. These can heal skin conditions such as, acne, psoriasis, eczema and cold sores.
- VITAMIN C FOODS: Essential for Collagen synthesis. Also contains antioxidants that help block UV photo-damage. Opt for Red Bell Peppers, which have more Vitamin C than oranges, and less sugar.
- PROTEIN: Is needed for smooth supple skin. Grass-fed beef, organic poultry, wild fish, and eggs all contain the amino acids required to rebuild cells, and form collagen.
- NUTS & SEEDS: Full of protein, healthy fats, vitamins and minerals needed for clear, smooth and youthful skin. The natural oils help to restore hydration, leading to softer skin. Pumpkin seeds are high in zinc, needed if you have acne. Just make sure they are raw or dry roasted.
5 WORST FOODS FOR YOUR SKIN
- DAIRY: Dairy is injected with hormones and antibiotics causing it to be very inflammatory. It also contains casein and lactose that are difficult for many people to digest. Anyone with acne, rosacea, rashes, or eczema may benefit going on a 3-month dairy elimination diet.
- ALCOHOL: No whining for your wine! Alcohol is dehydrating, increases estrogen levels, and is toxic to your liver. It ages the skin quickly. You would need to drink gallons of wine to get enough Resveratrol to be any benefit to your body. Although, I know most of you would like to!
- SUGAR / GRAINS: Sugar and flour are very inflammatory. It takes only 4-5 chews of bread, grains or rice to become sugar in your mouth. Basically, you are swallowing sugar! Think of toast, how it gets brown with heat, that’s what sugar does to your skin. It looks like dried up toast, destroying the collagen.
- FAKE FACTORY FOODS: These are processed foods that come in pretty packages. They are made with cheap, rancid oils, many different sugars, and inflammatory grains. Put them all together and we have inflammation, oxidation, and poor gut health. This shows up in our skin as it tries to eliminate the toxins.
- FRIED FOODS: Eating fried foods damages the cellular structure and prevents skin from retaining its moisture, becoming dehydrated and full of lines. Oils such as sunflower, corn, safflower, canola, and soy will oxidize from high heat, making these oils rancid. Rancid oils cause inflammation resulting in flare-ups with acne, rosacea, eczema, and psoriasis.
By following this list your skin will be glowing and everyone will ask you “what have you done”? And, you can truthfully say, “it’s all natural”.